Manchester United owners the Glazers aren’t expected to pick a preferred takeover candidate on Friday, it has been claimed. And that means the process is set for yet another delay. Sheikh Jassim and Sir Jim Ratcliffe remain in the dark, with firms such as Elliot Management and the Carlyle group ready to offer minority investment.
It had previously been reported that the Glazers were expected to communicate a preferred takeover bidder by Friday.
But journalist Ben Jacobs, speaking to GiveMeSport, doesn’t believe an announcement will be made – meaning another delay to proceedings is on the cards – while also saying the Raine Group were involved in a ‘back and forth’.
“Not necessarily,” he said when asked if he expected an announcement to be made.
“It’s been a process of twists, turns, and surprises.
“But, speaking to those close to the process, it appears it’s optimistic that a preferred bidder would be announced by Friday.
Man Utd takeover: Garnacho could be set for awkward reunion after Sheikh Jassim approval
“There is a lot of back talk at the moment and back and forth between the parties and Raine Group.
“Nobody has been placed in a period of exclusivity at this point.
“It’ll be interesting to see whether, as or when there is a preferred bidder, if that preferred bidder comes with exclusivity, because, if not, the door will always be open to another party.”
Sheikh Jassim has made four bids for United so far.
His latest came 10 days ago, though it’s believed his bid still values the club lower than Ratcliffe’s.
The INEOS chief is hoping to win the race for United by enabling brothers Joel and Avram Glazer to stay in reduced roles.
But this is a decision that has angered many supporters of the club, with plenty of fans eager to see the back of the Glazers for good.
The family announced back in November they were open to a takeover, though stopped short of confirming they’ll definitely be selling up.
And, six months on, there’s still no imminent end to the saga in sight.
As the process continues to drag on, The Manchester United’s Supporters Trust released a statement last month calling for the process to be sped up.
Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here
“When it was announced in November that the Glazers were undertaking a ‘strategic review’ and inviting offers to buy the Club, MUST welcomed the news and went on to urge the majority owners to move ahead with the process with speed, so that any period of uncertainty was as short as possible,” they said.
“Nearly five months on, we read speculation that offers from prospective buyers remain below the Glazers valuation, and that a third round of offers will now be invited.
“With Erik Ten Hag having made such great progress in his first season, and with the vital summer transfer window a matter of weeks away, the news of these delays and further prolonged uncertainty are of great concern.
“Erik needs to know what resources he has to spend so he can make the signings the club needs, and the whole management resources of the club need to be focussed on supporting him in that.
“That cannot be the case with the future ownership so unclear.
“We are also unable to move forward on major investment projects – not least the stadium redevelopment as we remain in limbo.
“We are in dire need of new investment, which undoubtedly requires new ownership.
“MUST, along with United fans all around the world, are calling for this process to be concluded without further delay.”